Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy on HP nw8240
I finally managed to get Ubuntu Gutsy onto my HP nw8240. With the LiveCD booting with a totally disabled screen it wasn’t a walk in the park. It seems to work fine now except the direct rendering for cool 3D effects is still not enabled -this is however not a Gutsy problem but ATI driver problem. It seems some people got it to work on the Internet but i didn’t so far.
Gutsy is stable and fast and gives a fairly robust impression at first. Diving more into details there are a number of glitches still. Some examples:
– OpenOffice stops working is you change Gnome theme
– mPlayer is not rendering video in the Firefox plugin until I installed VLC
The process of installation was roughly the following
– boot the nw8240 with a Edgy LiveCD (the screen rendering is broken as well -but it’s still usable for 10 minutes or so)
– switch into terminal and run ‘dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg’ and manually change the video driver to VESA
– restart X-server through a logout
– install the fglrx driver
– install Edgy
– upgrade to Gutsy
It works; but I can’t really recommend it unless you like problem solving and some terminal stuff. Ubuntu still has some hardware compatibility to work on..